Writing skills are an important part of communication. Good writing skills allow you to communicate your message with clarity and ease to a far larger audience than through face-to-face or telephone conversations.
You might be called upon to write a report, plan or strategy at work; write a grant application or press release within a volunteering role; or you may fancy communicating your ideas online via a blog. And, of course, a well written CV or résumé with no spelling or grammatical mistakes is essential if you want a new job.
Today, when anyone can be their own publisher, we see more and more examples of poor writing skills both in print and on the web. Poor writing skills create poor first impressions and many readers will have an immediate negative reaction if they spot a spelling or grammatical mistake. As just one example, a spelling mistake on a commercial web page may cause potential customers to doubt the credibility of the website and the organisation.
This section of SkillsYouNeed aims to make you think about your writing – from grammar, spelling and punctuation, how to plan your writing, and the various processes and checks to go through before pressing print or broadcasting your message online. It also provides guides for specific pieces of writing that you may need to produce, whether at school, university, or in the workplace.
The importance of writing skills
Written communication is an exceptional characteristic of the human species. Over hundreds of years, writing has helped individuals to inform, collaborate and alert other, while societies benefitted from written history, culture and knowledge. In our time, how you successfully use the gift of writing, depends on you.
Writing is a life skill, not only an essential job-related skill, because it is often the basis upon which others judge your learning, your values, your ideas and your contribution to society. Regardless of your career or occupation, everyone has to write to communicate with others, whether it is a friendly email, a formal business memo, a report, a job application, a press release or a message of condolence. Your writing skills determine if you receive the desired reaction from your reader. Did you inform, persuade, calm or entertain as you hoped? The effectiveness of your communication can affect your daily life and your life course outcomes. So, miscommunication can have serious consequences and unintended effects.
Writing is personal. It represents us when we are absent in space and in time. Writing expresses who we are, even after our life time. It makes our knowledge, our personal aspirations and our work for the future visible to others. Writing is the means to explain our ideas to ourselves and to others while preserving our personal experiences and our memories. No one else can do it for you. In this way, writing connects you with yourself. Writing is not fleeting; it is permanent. It is a record of what you wished to communicate at a point in time.
Writing enables you to reach a much larger audience, in many places and over time. Keep this in mind, if you want an on-line presence. If writing was judiciously planned, thoughtfully written and designed for the intended readers, it lives on in the minds of those who read it. If you are reading this and it made sense to you, it means that the writer directed the message to you.
Why Writing Skills are Important
Writing skills are an essential element of communication. Excellent writing skills enable you to communicate your message with precision, correctness, exactness, sureness, efficiency, and accuracy and cure to a greatly wider audience than within face-to-face or phone communications, communication in all workplaces employees is constantly drafting letters, emails, memos, reports, statements, announcements, observations, records, reminders, documents, accounts, memorandums, letters, and reports. All of these need excellent writing abilities so that people are capable to communicate their opinions, thoughts, and ideas effectively.
You might be asked upon to draft a report, project or approach at work; write a present application or papers statement within a volunteering position; or you may favor expressing your ideas online via a blog. And, of course, a well-written CV or résumé with no spelling or grammatical errors is essential if you require a fresh job.
However, now, more jobs demand excellent writing skills than ever since. In line for an employee to get an understanding and be understood in his/her emails or news, then he/she must understand how to write in a way that is well known and with his/her ideas definitely established.
2. When Communicating: In all the workplaces, employees are continually writing letters, emails, memoranda, messages, and statements. All of these need excellent writing abilities so that individuals become able to communicate their thoughts and opinions effectively. Good writing skills enable you to communicate a word with accuracy and efficiency and can lead to a wider audience related to face-to-face communication.
Weak writing skills, on the other hand, particularly where communication with the administration is involved, can be a red standard that an employee is not suitable enough for management jobs and as such can be a barrier to development. Further, individuals with inadequate writing skills seem to have a weaker level of capacity, knowledge and, ability.
3. Trustworthiness in an Employee: Workers with superior writing skills are usually observed as being a warm property. Businesses throughout the world are serving substantial quantities of capital to encourage and provide pieces of training to their employees and enhance their writing skills. Assume a situation where you as an employee download an article or attempt to paraphrase a message from a co-worker but the email or statement is full of typos and grammatical mistakes.
It would not only lose a lot of time but also worsen to efficiently communicate the message. This indicates that the sender was inexperienced and did not worry to proofread his work. So it is obvious that writing skills are necessary and required for any worker who wants to win in their career.
4. Reflections of an Employee to be considered: Good writing skills unlock doors for various younger employees to be considered for superior positions. Nevertheless, as essential as these abilities are, it is further necessary to understand when and when not to fix another individual. Fixing the incorrect individual can get you in difficulty at work or even dismissed. Not everybody wants to be changed, and not all errors are meaningful or notable enough to justify the emendation.
5. Writing Skills Proves your Ability: Despite if your job doesn’t need a lot of writing, whereby you come over is critical and significant. A few grammatical or punctual flaws may appear little. But people do mention. And they manage to remember that those who don’t write well are less capable and knowledgeable than those who do. Don’t let anyone drop you because of your inadequate writing skills. A few minutes of proofreading can enhance the process you observed. Faultless papers will grant you a cleverer person than an associate whose job is full of typos.
6. Writing Skills makes you more Prominent: Excellent influencing, persuasion, and convincing skills support you to inspire others to accomplish your goals. Teachers assign their students to write powerful articles, assignments, and essays in order to provide them for the job market by improving these meaningful skills. If you are producing taglines and calls-to-action for your organization, you just need to know how to produce a copy that will inspire the student to take action. If you are representing an innovative idea that can enhance a method to your supervisor, you should sound persuasive. Each paper must express your ideas efficiently.
7. Writing Skills Helps in Record Keeping: Data that is communicated verbally isn’t stored for delayed. That’s why individuals write notes of lectures. As students use their notes to write assignments, you can use your documents in your job. Gathering information on paper is the genuine process of saving it for times. In fact, the several specific information that has approached us several times back was from books.